Kugadi is currently a guard-touring company, utilizing RFID technology to empower security guards to do their best work. The slogan is, “Know where your guards are, streamline communications, run a more efficient company.”
My challenge was to take their current business model and create a new platform for the healthcare industry in two weeks.
I started off with some industry research. I looked into both hospitals and nursing homes, and the most disheartening and appalling thing I found was: In a survey of 2,000 nursing home residents, 95% had indicated they had been neglected by their caregivers. 44% said they had suffered from abuse.
Research indicates that half of all nursing home attendants have admitted abusing or neglecting elderly patients.
More than 75% of older adults wish to age in their own home. 54.6% of people said they would provide full-time care to an aging loved one if possible. But, it’s not always possible. And you shouldn’t have to worry about the care a loved one receives in a nursing home.
My first step in tackling this problem was to do some market research to better understand the competitors. I did a competitor feature analysis to see what the expectations are and opportunities for us to stand out, as well as a market positioning chart. You can see below that there was no competitors in the healthcare field that I could find, which would allow Kugadi to thrive in the healthcare industry.
Kugadi was designed to achieve a system for guard touring. We have observed that the product is not meeting other industry (i.e healthcare) goals which is causing frustration to our users. How might we improve our product so that our customers are more successful based on click through rates, adoption of program, and daily active users?
The Hypothesis Statement
We believe creating a separate application specifically for healthcare will allow users to use the program more easily. We will know we are right based on adoption of program in new businesses, user feedback, task completion rates, and increase in employee productivity.
Using our data from industry research and qualitative interviews, I mapped out the pains and habits of our tribe. From this data, I created two user personas, Worried Wendy and Overworked Olivia. I then created journey maps for both of their experiences to give context to their pains and frustrations.
I ideated with a peer on the following five questions using mind-mapping:
● How might we hold CNAs and nurses accountable to do their work?
● How can families know their loved one is getting adequate care?
● How might we allow task scheduling and notifications?
● How might we allow the platform to report coworkers for abuse?
● How might we give CNA’s pride and joy in the work they do?
We took the best of the ideas and put them into a MoSCoW map.
This gave us our MVP (Minimum Viable Product) in the “must” section, along with some other features that could be implemented once the MVP is tested and deployed.
I created a User Flow for both Overworked Olivia and Worried Wendy, but from this point on I continued working with the flow for the medical staff due to time constraints on this project.
I went on to create low-fi concept sketches, time-boxing myself for each page. After a few iterations of each, I did paper prototyping with five users to test.
One tester said “It would be better if the patient cards on the main page dropped down. It’s overwhelming to look at.” I took that into mind when I created my mid-fi wireframes. I then tested my mid-fi prototype with five users. I found that I wasn’t clear enough on which components were clickable, and I should’ve used more icons, which is a great learning for future projects.
Some screens were more clear than others, as you can see with the heat map below. Users kept asking, “Is this a button?”
I made a meeting with the others who were working on different features for Kugadi, so we could go over branding and create a design system.
When we started, Kugadi only had their blue color and logo. We picked fonts, icons, and color schemes for their product. You can see that the design system was slightly updated in the final design.
I used this as a style tile to do desirability testing with users. One user said, “I immediately think of a very professional company. The colors make me think ‘secure’ and ‘safe.’” Another said, “Overall, I get a reputable impression. I would trust them.”
I did a few iterations of the high-fidelity prototype. I continued to test with my users throughout the design process to make sure I was on track aligning with their mental models.
Testing the first screen: “I have no idea what’s going on in this page. It’s totally overwhelming.”
Testing the second screen: “That is way better. Now I know exactly what to focus on.”
The feedback I received from users helped me to pivot my design to accommodate their needs.
I added a small microinteraction to the application as well. This allows the user to know that their scan worked and is in progress.
Because this is an app that while be used while healthcare workers are on duty, I kept the microinteractions to a minimum to not be distracting.I went with a clean and simple interface for the same reason.
It was difficult to make the design not too “trendy” like the designs I see on Behance and Dribble, but the main needs for this app are ease of use and simplicity. Sometimes a simple look is best for the industry you’re working with.
● Testing with medical professionals
● Building out the prototype
● Creating the family dashboard
Success & Failure Metrics
● Increase in employee productivity
● Task completion rate
● Satisfaction of users
● Increase in business investor interest