The client is asking for an event microsite with a one-year life cycle — it will be stored in the main platform’s archive after this period.
My goal in this four-day sprint was to create a microsite for this year’s edition of the surf festival. The website needs to include all of the information for this edition and links for the community, along with ticket sales.
I started out with some industry research, and I found that the global surfing industry generates $7.3 billion each year in revenue.
The average surfer in the United States:
● Has an annual income of $75,000
● Has 16 years of surfing experience
● Goes surfing 108 times per year
90% of all surfers in the United States are male, and 91% have traveled to go surfing in the last four years.
I created a competitor feature analysis to get a better understanding of what my users expect when going to a surfing competition. I found that there are not many surf festivals throughout the United States. Many surfing competitions and festivals are in foreign countries.
I also created a market positioning chart, looking for gaps in the market among my competitors. I decided that a surfing competition festival for “legit” surfers would fill a gap in the market based on my competitors.
Based on three interviews with surfers who have been to several surfing competitions, I created a user persona, Cutback Cameron. Cutback Cameron represents the average person in our tribe of legit surfers. This allowed me to keep my focus on the target audience throughout the project.
I then created a journey map to put context to our user’s frustrations. This let me visualize our user’s pain points and see the opportunities to ease those frustrations with design.
I created a jobs-to-be-done framework which is a concept to help guide me toward innovation — “When recreational surfers go to surfing competitions, they want to easily find parking information, so I can not waste time and money on parking.”
I ideated on the question, “How might we make parking at surfing competition events accessible and affordable?”
The minimum viable product:
● A Microsite for the Event
● Parking Information
● Ticket Sales
I created a sitemap for the current website (on the left), and a sitemap for the website redesign (on the right). They define the structure and hierarchy of the pages through grouping of related content.
I created a user flow which helped me to know what screens I needed to focus on while sketching my low-fidelity prototypes.
I did paper prototyping to test my low-fidelity sketch with users.
I received great qualitative feedback, both about the odontology and the layout of the menu.
“I don’t understand the difference between ‘Event Info’ and ‘About’ sections,” one user said.
I used this to create my mid-fidelity prototype.
I tested my mid-fidelity prototype, using Maze, with 5 users. Every single tester said their first instinct was to look for parking information under the event information. Due to this, I changed the design of the high-fidelity prototype to adjust my design to fit my user’s mental model.
I did a visual competitive analysis on our competitors to evaluate their design strategies and determine their strengths and weaknesses.
I created a style tile for our brand, and did desirability testing with 10 users. 100% of the users said it was “beachy,” and 80% of the users said it was “exciting.” I used these words to create the brand attributes for the site.
I created a design system to use throughout the project. This enabled me to develop the site more quickly, and gave me consistency throughout the design.
● Building out the rest of the website
● Creating a live page of the website for ticket sales, which will help with overcrowding at the events
● Making the website responsive for mobile and tablet
Success & Failure Metrics
● Click-through rates to the parking information
● Increased patron satisfaction
● Use of shuttles
● Less/more patrons at event next year